[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 07:40:13 GMT 2010

Hi

On 16 February 2010 18:06, Matt Poff <matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz> wrote:

> So diy cat6 installs are generally pretty error prone? What sort of
> gear do you need to verify transfer speeds?

There are testers that check they do properly work at 600MHz ..

Cat6 are quite error prone mainly in office installation where you
have to run lots of cables next to each other.
You have to make the cables inter-cross each other every half meter or so...

You have to make sure they are properly separated from power cables ;
always crossing a power cable at 90 degres etc...

We had an exercise today where we laid 10 Cat6 cables in a ceiling ;
we had to reorder the cable a few times before they passed.

Note that if all you care about is gigabit speed ; it will usually be
fine ... But it's not Cat6 certified then and cat5e would have been
just as good