[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

Matt Poff matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz
Tue Feb 16 02:55:24 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I installed a bunch of Lexcom Cat7 cable into my house a while back
when doing some renovations and now want to connect some of it up.
I've decided against using Lexcom components due to price,
inflexibility of modules available and lack of info for DIYers. I
recall someone on the list a while back saying they used Lexcom cable
to wire an otherwise conventional structured network and just wondered
what the best approach is to wire the cable to Cat6A spec. What wiring
scheme should be used? Does the colour coding on the Lexcom wiring map
to wiring standards and if not what's the best mapping to use?
Finally, any recommendations on the type of RJ-45 plug to connect. I
was looking at the bog standard Cat 6 RJ-45 8P8C Modular Plug (Rounded
Solid) - 50 micron product from CablesDirect - will that suffice.

The Cat7 spec says "Category 7 is terminated with RJ-45 compatible
GG45 connectors or TERA connectors, and it is rated for transmission
frequencies up to 600 MHz" but I take it lower spec connectors can be
used to get Cat6 results.

Full RJ-45 list at: http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/search?quickfind_needle=rj45%20plug%20solid%20round

Thanks in advance,
Matt