[mythtvnz] Has anyone successfully got an ATI Wonder Remote II to work under myth(buntu) ??

douglas douglas.pearless at pearless.co.nz
Thu Feb 4 04:53:32 GMT 2010

I am having quite a job getting the aforementioned remote to work!

I have tried selecting it from the myth control centre, and generating
the lircrc but it simply does not work for me.

I then tried downloading the source from lirc.org, configuring it just
for my device, compiling and installing it (yes, after removing lirc !).

I can get mode2 to return various numbers when I press various keys
(noting I have to specify the -d /dev/lirc0 with mode2 to get it to work
as there is no /dev/lirc)

Again I can get irrecord to try and create a custom config file, but it
seems to lock up after defining the first key.

I then uninstalled the lirg.org version, went back to the mythbuntu
control centre and put back the ati wonder remote II, no luck.

I have searched the web and it appears to be a common problem, I have
even blacklisted the ati_remote2 kernel module to try and get only LIRC
working, no luck.  I have tried the instructions from the mythtv wiki,
but again no success.

from lsusb I get:

Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0471:0602 Philips ATI Remote Wonder II Input Device
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

In the generated /etc/lirc/hardware.conf I note the REMOTE line was
rubbish, it appears that the '&' is replaced with the string itself so I
replaced it with what I thought it should be, and I explicitly changed
the remote_lircd_conf entry to ensure it was picking up the correct conf
that contained my remote (5000022400):

#REMOTE="ATI/NVidia/X10 I REMOTE="ATI/NVidia/X10 I REMOTE="" II RF
Remote" II RF Remote"
REMOTE="ATI/NVidia/X10 I & II RF Remote"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_atiusb"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
#REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="atiusb/lircd.conf.atiusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/usr/share/lirc/remotes/atiusb/lircd.conf.atilibusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
START_LIRCD="true"
START_LIRCMD=""
LOAD_MODULES=""
LIRCMD_CONF=""
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"

The .lircrc file includes the various ones for mytthv and is generate
from the mythbuntu_control_centre and apepars to be OK.

About now I am getting a bit frustrated, any ideas welcome!

Cheers
Douglas.