[mythtvnz] 50Hz vs 60Hz refresh rate

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Dec 17 23:37:03 GMT 2010

> the recording, although it seems possible, e.g. de-interlacing.

The de-interlacing & vdpau hq scaling are features of the GT220 you
should expt with...

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
> adding
>
> Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
>
> into xorg and doing the 1920x1080 / any settings.

This forces all scaling (in GPU) of all output to 1920x1080 which is
good if your TV is full HD capable (inc connection).
> TV still says its getting 1080i at 60Hz   Hmmm  I'll try a change to a
> digital cable (from component) and see if that makes the difference, as
> was suggested earlier.

Just don't pay to much for what should be a $10 2m cable.

> Its interesting to consider PC monitor refresh rates, that 60Hz are
> generally the minimum, and can be inadequate for a comfortable viewing
> experience, with 75-85Hz having significant success in tricking our
> brains into perceiving better image quality.  Come along LCD's and 60Hz
> is suddenly fine.  (And we have a raft of new measurement dimensions to
> compare problems that did not need to be measured as they were not an
> issue in earlier technologies - speed, blacks, whites, viewing angles etc)
>
> Yet 50Hz freeview is seen to be very good.  Go figure.  I think the
> explanation is that the video images are generally moving, compared with
> static flashing images, and also the underlying technologies, with CRT
> screens being much faster gave them the ability to show the flashes much
> better also.

We need to have discussion about persistence of vision & persistence of
phosphor & perception of motion by human eye/brain...

> Then add into the picture 24 fps videos, which is even less intuitive,
> bearing the previous comments, I can only assume these are shown at 48Hz
> or possibly other multiples to provide the necessary quality?

Real 24fps (blueray/film) is handled by 3:2 pull down scheme (60Hz) or
speed up (50Hz).
Latest blueray players & TVs allow real 1080p24 & the TV refreshes at
48Hz or some multiple of 24.

The problem with old 24fps material is transferred/converted by
telecining to DVD etc and/or telecined wrong.
Some TVs & video card drivers detect telecined material & 'fix it'

My experience of nvidia feature set C inverse telecining DVD is that it
is excellent.
Never tried any 1080p24 24fps material.