[mythtvnz] 50Hz vs 60Hz refresh rate

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Dec 17 08:10:55 GMT 2010

>> IMO
>> Using a more appropriate video mode is worth the effort.

Intuitively this makes sense.  Its hard to do better than the data in
the recording, although it seems possible, e.g. de-interlacing.

> yes i am going to play around with the "any" video refresh rate
> setting on my gt220 paired with sony 46" tv.

I've a brief go, referring to
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
adding

Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

into xorg and doing the 1920x1080 / any settings.

TV still says its getting 1080i at 60Hz   Hmmm  I'll try a change to a
digital cable (from component) and see if that makes the difference, as
was suggested earlier.

Its interesting to consider PC monitor refresh rates, that 60Hz are
generally the minimum, and can be inadequate for a comfortable viewing
experience, with 75-85Hz having significant success in tricking our
brains into perceiving better image quality.  Come along LCD's and 60Hz
is suddenly fine.  (And we have a raft of new measurement dimensions to
compare problems that did not need to be measured as they were not an
issue in earlier technologies - speed, blacks, whites, viewing angles etc)

Yet 50Hz freeview is seen to be very good.  Go figure.  I think the
explanation is that the video images are generally moving, compared with
static flashing images, and also the underlying technologies, with CRT
screens being much faster gave them the ability to show the flashes much
better also.

Then add into the picture 24 fps videos, which is even less intuitive,
bearing the previous comments, I can only assume these are shown at 48Hz
or possibly other multiples to provide the necessary quality?