[mythtvnz] Analogue transmissions

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Fri Dec 3 01:43:43 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:26 +1300, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:15 +1300, Rama Madhusudhan wrote:
> > Also, you could consider having the backend in the garage and have
> > your house wired up for a network to every room in the house.  I did
> > that myself with each room have two outlets.  Overkill ... probably
> > but sure is useful.  Just my experience.
>
> Not overkill at all, we have 2-4 network jacks in each room which I
> consider should be standard.

Totally.  Ideally in opposite corners.  I have a bit of resistance from
my wife though, we've lived in a place where the landlord went way
overboard and had faceplates in every corner of the lounge, didn't
matter that most of them were covered up by furniture, she didn't like
it.

We're also budget constrained so I won't be doing a fully install.  But
we'll have outlets in the most logical places, and will be able to use
an installed wire as a draw wire if we need to run more cable into a
room.

I'm thinking ahead, for example, in our master bedroom the logical place
to put the wall mount LCD TV is against the walk in wardrobe wall.  So
we'll have a RG6/Cat6 + power + speaker outlets inside in walk in
wardrobe.  When/if we want to install a TV one, drill a hole through the
wall at the right height and feed the cables through, no ugly cables in
the room.

In the meantime we'll have an amplifier in there and feed audio from the
jukebox server in the garage into our bedroom.

I'm also going to put a network outlet above the kitchen cupboards in
the open plan living area for the wifi access point.

> At the least everything (phone/Internet/broadcast) should be wired to a
> central location and then star wired out to every room. Then you can
> patch Ethernet or analog phone etc. to where ever you need it.

When I told the sparky where I'm going to install the patch panel he
immediately asked if we wanted the phoneline run directly from the
Telecom demarc to the patch panel.  He's onto it.  He also asked if I
wanted BT or RJ45 jacks for his telephone outlets.  There will also be a
dedicated power circuit to the rack & patch panel.

The current cabling recommendations from the TCF are actually fairly
good and recommend star wiring and having a patch panel etc.

> Of course I'm sure that Andrew is on to it as he knows what he is doing.

;)

Once I'm finished I might write up what I've done, if I ever find the
time...  The first step is the 87m of conduit that I'll be laying in the
services trench running up our driveway in a few weeks time.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew at etc.gen.nz |          linux.conf.au 2010