[mythtvnz] Serial IR blaster on USB to serial cable

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Aug 22 03:37:00 BST 2010

> Hi guys,
>
> I found a cheap serial IR blaster online the other day and bought it.
> After it arrived I realised that I don't have a serial port on my
> computer!  Just a parallel one - why you'd want a parallel over a serial
> I don't know.  So I borrowed a USB to serial cable from a friend and it
> is recognised by the system.  Problem is that when you install lirc and
> you activate the blaster option it asks you for the serial port you are
> using and the USB version is not an option.  Anyone know whether I can
> actually make it work using this cable and what config file I might need
> to modify to get the correct port working?

No - it won't work. It *MUST* be a real serial port since if you look at
the wiring it uses either the RTS or DTR output control lines and the lirc
driver waggles them 40,000 times a seconds with great accuracy. You just
can't do that with a USB stack.

I hope the serial blaster was less than $2 as thats how much they cost...

--
Robin Gilks