[mythtvnz] Good DVB-T USB capture device

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 22 14:54:55 BST 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:03:30 +1200, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> PID filtering has nothing to do with the tuner hardware.  That is done
>> in the main software, AFAIK, not even in the drivers.
>>

>That's not right. Some cards can do hardware PID filtering, for example the
>SkyStar 2 I have. I'm not intimately familiar with the dvb subsystem but I
>expect that if there is api support for setting up pid filtering then there
>are probably drivers that do it for card variants that don't do hw
>filtering.
>
>Google "linux dvb pid filtering" and you'll see plenty of mentions.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Very interesting.  I found a copy of the DVB API, and it has provision
for passing the PID filtering back to the hardware.

I wonder why none of the cards I have looked at have mentioned in
their advertising or documentation whether they do PID filtering or
not.  It would seem to be a very useful option to cut down on the
required processing in the CPU, so you would think it would feature
fairly prominently in the ads.