[mythtvnz] Good DVB-T USB capture device

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Apr 22 06:02:33 BST 2010

On Thu, April 22, 2010 1:30 pm, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a few weeks of struggling with my Nova-500-TD I came to accept
> the fact that there is no way I can get TVONE to be recorded properly.
> Since the other multiplexes work well I'm planning to install another
> tuner.
> I have no more PCI slots left, so the only option is USB.  I looked at
> AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Volar (but apparently the aerial connector is
> not that great), Pinnacle PCTV NanoStick DVB-T and the Hauppage
> nova-500-t stick (I'm not too sure if I want another Hauppage in my
> box). What do you use in that space? Do you have any particularly good
> or bad experience with any USB DVB-T cards?

I've got two USB tuners at the moment
 * Hauppauge HVR 900 - older model
 * Freecom USB DVBT Stick - from the UK

Neither of these come close to performing as well as my HVR 2200 PCIe
card. Often the USB sticks will have very poor reception whilst the HVR
2200 presents a rock solid picture.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz