[mythtvnz] Good DVB-T USB capture device

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 22 05:31:07 BST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:42:10 +1200, you wrote:

>Pshem Kowalczyk wrote, On 04/22/2010 01:30 PM
>> After a few weeks of struggling with my Nova-500-TD I came to accept
>> the fact that there is no way I can get TVONE to be recorded properly.
>> Since the other multiplexes work well I'm planning to install another
>> tuner.

If a Nova 500 TD does not work, I would not expect any other tuner to
be better.  Except maybe one that said it was "extra sensitive" or
something like that.  But the Nova 500 TD has the diversity option
that does that anyway if you plug an antenna into both inputs.

>> I have no more PCI slots left, so the only option is USB.  I looked at
>> AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T Volar (but apparently the aerial connector is
>> not that great), Pinnacle PCTV NanoStick DVB-T and the Hauppage
>> nova-500-t stick (I'm not too sure if I want another Hauppage in my
>> box). What do you use in that space? Do you have any particularly good
>> or bad experience with any USB DVB-T cards?
>>
>They're sodding awful.   Consider a mainboard upgrade instead.

That is not my experience, so I am wondering why you are saying that.
All of my USB tuners seem to perform just as well as any other tuner,
when running Linux.  They do seem to perform less well with Vista.