[mythtvnz] SSD versus rotational HD pricing

Daniel Giddens daniel at acsdata.co.nz
Tue Apr 20 05:48:10 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 15:57 +1200, Tortise wrote:

> [...]

They still are going in one un-upgraded rig, no writes, ro operating
system with ram drive for logs etc. I never had any failures but you had
to manage them carefully ... I used 4GB CF cards from memory in an IDE
cradle. The native install was just over 2GB. Every upgrade would fill
the spare space and I had to check for space before doing a major
update. Back when we did these only certain CF worked, also motherboards
were fussy on recognising them as IDE drives correctly.  Boot times were
very slow on these. This was all done I think around 3-4 years ago ... I
cant recall exactly ... my comments were based on today if you were
choosing SSD or CF then other than budget there is no comparison.
Interesting as we just upgraded the work setup and I installed 2 SSD
systems and upgraded the CF frontend all at the same time. It was a
first hand comparison of the differences, the CF upgrade was still going
after I finished both SSD fresh installs.

> >and you always need to watch what you put on due to the small sizes.
>
> Not sure how this applies to a FE?  (To be clear I was not advocating for CF on BE's.)
>
> Also Daniel, I for one wish to welcome your enthusistic participation here.  While I do not necessarily agree with all you say, your
> experiences are extremely valid and robust debate is great to get to the nub of an issue.  Keep it up!

Hey thanks ...  .... hope I am not offending anyone .... nice to share
some of my experiences and happy if someone finds it helpful ..... I'm
not big on theory and written facts (lazy on researching my claims so if
im off by a year, or a MB calc of other fact then please forgive : ) but
I am trying to offer my actual experiences ... I was hacking Tivos
before Myth( started that 10 years ago) and have been using Linux as my
work PC for 11 years (whole company does here including over 100 servers
we support..... I actually think that all these emails in this chain are
agreeing with each other :) ... just email is a hard medium to get
points across accurately sometimes as a point I was making about a front
end (although maybe not clearly stating so) can be easily argued as not
valid for a backend etc etc

maybe I should have registered as Hare ..... that way when I argue SSD
and Tortise argues CF we can all have a chuckle :) jks