[mythtvnz] SSD versus rotational HD pricing

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Apr 20 04:57:41 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Giddens
To: MythTV in NZ
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] SSD versus rotational HD pricing

> Actually anyone commenting on here have you had the pleasure?? .....

It may well be that http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/ has not yet come to your attention.  That will confirm
for you there are previous observations and comparisions from me, my CF promotion is therefore compared to actual SSD use, all be it
seems I used the bottom of the SSD heap.

Your comments did make me wonder what performance level of CF cards you had used?  I was quoting my experience with 133x level CF
cards.  133x equates to a relatively slow 25MB/sec. read, 20MB/sec. write - all be it with
essentially zero delay for file reads.  It is slower than fast SSD, but its still acceptable, given the performance is IMO adequate
the economic question may be considered along the lines of prudency before low budget.

>has very limited write life

How long did yours last (presumably with most writes turned off?)

>and you always need to watch what you put on due to the small sizes.

Not sure how this applies to a FE?  (To be clear I was not advocating for CF on BE's.)

Also Daniel, I for one wish to welcome your enthusistic participation here.  While I do not necessarily agree with all you say, your
experiences are extremely valid and robust debate is great to get to the nub of an issue.  Keep it up!