[mythtvnz] SSD versus rotational HD pricing

Solor Vox solorvox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 04:53:19 BST 2010

Feel I should chime in here.

I've got some insight here since I've got dual SSD Samsung in a RAID-0 on
one of my systems.  I've been using it for 1 1/2 years now so I can comment
on a few things about them.

1) They are fantastic for reads 150MB/s, 0.3ms access times, no defrags,
etc.
2) Their performance (read and write) degrades over time
3) Their space degrades over time

That said, my write is horrible now.  Often times slower then a single
normal HD.  This is due to a few factors such as not having support for TRIM
and overall design of flash drives in my case.  As the drives get older,
they start to wear out the flash blocks.  Even with "wear-leveling", these
blocks get marked as bad and the drive's space decreases.  Cheaper/older SSD
that didn't support TRIM command is even worse.  So making sure both your
drive and OS/filesystem support TRIM is key.  And it's also important to
point out just like HD, not all are created equal.  Intel's X25-E are crazy
fast, but some cheap models like the X25-M or -V are much different.  Many
good (read more expensive) SSD have reserved space to offset the performance
and space limitation.

As much as people debate it, cost drives sales.  I just got some 1.5TB disks
for $189 each.  In a RAID setup, they offer much more speed than is needed
for doing multiple HD streams.  Sure SSD would be nice, but why waste money
if standard drives can meet your needs and more space?

If you haven't seen this, might be a reason why...
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/04/19/1544256/Why-Arent-SSD-Prices-Going-Down

I agree they are great, but they are not the end all of storage solutions
either.

Cheers
sV