[mythtvnz] SSD versus rotational HD pricing

Daniel Giddens daniel at acsdata.co.nz
Tue Apr 20 04:26:17 BST 2010

The Point I was originally making is that using these drives are mind
blowing. The speed of boot, loading applications, multitasking (unraring
3 rars at same time with no performance hit etc etc) That is why I
bought them and at sub $300 they are worth it. I wouldn't spend more
than that regardless of capacity or technology.

WHEN! the 1TB drives drop below $300 then I will upgrade my back end
storage as well. But right now they have and will continue to be my main
boot drives and application drives due to performance and nothing to do
with price.

Steve have you used and SSD ?? Actually anyone commenting on here have
you had the pleasure?? ..... We run Myth ... we aren't normal people,
performance and doing crazy off the wall things with technology is why
we are here ... if it was price then we would by MySky or something
similar boring and broken heh :)

All I was trying to say was using SSD's for the first time was mind
blowing ... it reminded me of the first voodoo graphics card, doom,
720p/1080p, all things that changed my 30 plus years in computing.
whether it was waiting for a spectrum tape to load or windows to boot 32
seconds now reduced to 10 ... we have been stuck at 60MB/s for years and
now finally we can have 300+MB/s with multiple threads .... no more
defragging!!!! and way more.... and sub $300 for usable space. ..... if
you haven't tried them all I am saying is you should before you fall
into the $$/MB argument for not as it nothing to do with $$ its all
about mind blowing new technology at a sub $300 price.

I feel sorry for anyone that waits 2 years or even 6 months before they
discover what an SSD drive does technology wise over a standard
mechanical drive.