[mythtvnz] Has anyone seen the new Zotac units?

Daniel Giddens daniel at acsdata.co.nz
Mon Apr 19 05:01:54 BST 2010

If you read my post you will see I bought an Intel 40GB SSD for $225.
This is not about price per MB it is about 32 seconds boot time vs 10
seconds from cold not from standby. It's about achieving 300MB/s not
60MB/s. It's about running 4 streams at 300MB/s and not 4 streams at a
few MB/s. If you use a new SSD drive you will never go back ... well
that's my opinion anyway.

I have multiple frontends, some with compact flash, some with HDD and
now some with SSD's. I am speaking from first hand experience not paper
theory.

I agree we are a way off getting 1TB SSD's at cheap prices today. Today
we can get 2TB for under $230. Two years ago we probably were buying
250GB drives for that price.

I use old style drives for the backend because yes SSD's would be way to
expensive to use to TB's of storage. The original topic was frontends
which is where I recommended SSD's over compact flash.

I recon we will see TB SSD's for reasonable prices within 2 years.
Manufacturers will be heading that way versus mechanical drives and as
volume and competition rises the prices will fall.

Lets repost in two years and see who's right :)

cheers