[mythtvnz] Has anyone seen the new Zotac units?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 04:48:36 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Daniel Giddens <daniel at acsdata.co.nz>wrote:

>  Within 2 years all drives will be SSD's, next to no power consumption, no
> moving parts, 5-6 times the speed. Limited no only by size and price and
> these are going up and down in the usual directions like all IT hardware
> does.

Size and particularly price have a long way to move though. The cheapest
SSDs are about $300  for 64GB. That'd get you a 2TB Western Digital SATA
drive. So at best price/GB is 30 times higher for SSDs. I can't see that gap
closing in 2 years. And the biggest SSDs are only around 250GB. Fine for a
desktop, not so good when you've got 3TB of media to store.

Personally I think SSDs will take over as the OS/applications drive in most
new machines within the next 2 years, but they won't account for all drives,
no way.

Cheers,