[mythtvnz] Has anyone seen the new Zotac units?

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Apr 19 04:33:20 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 10:10 +1200, Daniel Giddens wrote:
> If you use an Intel SSD (solid state drive) it will be silent and boot
> in around 10 seconds. I bought 40gb versions for around $225 ish ex
> GST from memory. You want the Intel versions as other brands have
> historically had longevity and performance issues (these issues may be
> fixed now but why risk it).

SSDs are great. The Intel ones are very nice but there are alternatives.
I've been using OCZ Vertex 30GB drives as boot drives on quite a few
machines lately. They are cheaper and nearly up there with the Intel
drives.

I assume the ones you were referring to are the JMicron controller
drives (pretty much all the cheap SSds from all brands). They are slow
and have issues but even one of them may be okay for an HTPC.

If you have to use CF (though I'd recommend an SSD too) then use SLC
flash over MLC.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier