[mythtvnz] DVB-T MHEG EPG

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Apr 12 05:51:52 BST 2010

On Mon, April 12, 2010 4:42 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Jason Taylor
> <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Is text in the guide in MHEG-5 guide absolutely positioned or some
>> thing?
>>
>> I was under the impression that it was a csv file in the stream.. at
>> least in england?
>>

> I believe that's more or less right, but the exact format is at the whim
> of
> the broadcaster (as opposed to EIT data where it is specified by the
> standard). Freveview could change that format at any time. Since the
> software is also embedded in the MHEG stream they'd have no concerns about
> breaking users' devices, so I doubt they'll hesitate to make changes
> (unlike
> Sky who have to do a remote firmware upgrade with all the risks that
> entails).

This is something akin to a csv file inside the MHEG stream but the
structure is defined by the actual EPG application which is also in the
MHEG stream. As such they can both change at any time.

At the moment the most reliable solution for a DTT only user is to use one
of the freeview XMLTV files out on the net.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz