[mythtvnz] System freezes thrashing HDD

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sun Apr 4 23:25:22 BST 2010

Hello all,

I've spent a long time trying to narrow this down, but I'm really
struggling and could do with any help/suggestions that you can come up with.

I have run Mythbuntu for quite a long time. We used 9.10 without too
much trouble. After some updates near the beginning of this year,
Mythbuntu started stalling for 1-3 minutes at a time, with the hard disk
light on solidly and nothing else working. The system would be virtually
unresponsive, but would slowly crawl to a terminal etc. Then, after
about 1-3 mins, it would be back to normal. I can't see anything that
could be causing the problem in top, iotop or the system logs. There are
some entries in the logs about different kernel tasks being killed
because they didn't start properly in 120 seconds, but I think that is a
symptom rather than a cause.

I have now changed the card to an nVidia and am using the proprietary
drivers. I've removed one of the tuner cards. I upgraded the system to
Lucid Beta and downloaded all the latest updates. The problem is still
occurring, even when all I was doing was browsing folders in Thunar, so
that suggests to me that it isn't MythTV causing this (mythbackend is
still running, but I haven't loaded in the database or set anything up).
To give an idea of the problem, running a 42 minute video in VLC took 53
mins with the stalls.  The memory looks okay (I have 2GB in it), with
free -m showing most "used", but "cached".

I haven't yet sorted out all of the VDPAU etc., but I'm guessing that
those are unlikely to solve the problem when it stalls the system so
much that even a terminal can't work.  Given that it isn't showing in
top/iotop, I'm wondering if it is something really low-level. On the
other hand, I would have thought it would need to be hardware-specific
or everyone would be complaining.

If anyone can help me, it would make a huge difference -- even if only
to suggest more diagnostics or logs to review.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron