[mythtvnz] BBC & Encryption (sort of) on Freeview|HD in UK

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Sep 17 01:59:06 BST 2009

On Thu, September 17, 2009 11:41 am, Tony Sauri wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Did anyone here pick up on this news item? and can some of the learned
> folks
> that know what all the acronyms really mean suggest what  the implications
> for NZ might be?

> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/tvlicensing/enquiry/ofcom_bbc.pdf

There shouldn't be any unless they decided to use DVB-T2 in the future
which is unlikely given our interesting geography.

BBC aren't suggesting they encrypt the program streams. Instead some
entries with the DVB lookup tables that allow an STB to tune will be
encrypted. This will be licensed to official STB manufacturers who will
have to agree to other lock downs line HD over HDCP and no copying over
network ports etc.

Wonder how quickly the geeks will reverse engineer the system ;)

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz