[mythtvnz] BBC & Encryption (sort of) on Freeview|HD in UK

Simon Green simon at simongreen.name
Thu Sep 17 00:54:33 BST 2009

The Australia Network (which is a satellite channels seen throughout most of
the Asia Pacific region excluding AU/NZ) do this already for SANZAR games
(Super 14, Tri Nations, etc), as part of their agreement with SANZAR.
Effectively it means you need an decoder with a smart card to view the
encrypted content.

Prime were at one stage suggesting doing the same (for SANZAR games) for the
same reasons the Australia Network do, but I guess they must have resolved
the issue. It is unlikely (in the forseeable future) that NZ freeview DVB
transmissions will be encrypted. The backlash from all those that already
have freeview equipment would be too great.

  -- simon