[mythtvnz] XBMC Windows frontend - build for testing

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 08:57:05 BST 2009

Hi all,

Well I have got good news.  I have been searching for a good solution to
my dilemma regarding getting a Windows frontend for Mythtv that will
playback the NZ HD content (issues with LATM).  I have Windows 7RC on my
laptop and have tried Windows Media Player, Windows Media Centre (which
has a very nice GUI) as well as several ports etc that are supposed to
connect to Myth with no success (well VLC can play back LATM content
OK).  David Teirney managed to get Paul Kendall's patch included into
the XBMC source code but the way that XBMC is built meant that it
doesn't work for Windows builds out of the box.  After much effort on
forums and hunting around I figured out that libfaad needed to be
compiled into ffmpeg on windows and the whole XBMC system compiled after
that...

Safe to say that I managed to get this to work but since I am a relative
newbie to this whole thing I'd like to test out the build.  If it all
works well I'll try and get it included permanently into the source code
etc.  So if anyone would like to give this a go here is what to do:

- Download the XBMC install file (ignore the helpdesk file) from:
http://www.mydisk.se/coco/?user=pico
if it asks for a password it is 'pico' without quotes.

- Install it

- Use this page (http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=MythTV) to set up the
connection to your Myth backend.

- Test it