[mythtvnz] General questions

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 23:00:43 GMT 2009

> I've been burnt too many times to use bleeding edge software so I'm
> sticking to 0.21 until I am convinced its stable (some may debate
> whether 0.22 is bleeding edge or not).  I just think it would be cool to
> get a DLNA TV and not have to worry about a frontend.  UPNP seem to have
> a specification for controlling most backend functions (scheduling
> recordings, EPG etc) that you need with room to implement custom
> functions as well.  Having a standard communication protocol might make
> it easier to have different Myth versions interoperating which isn't
> possible at the moment.  You could also then just run mysql locally
> instead of over the network, and there is room for
> security/authentication too.  Can Myth currently handle different user
> levels say if you have untrusted users on the network?

The UPNP dosn't seem that flash to me, last time I tried it with 20.1
you could not skip forward or backwards (using xmbc as the client same
for totem)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP#Developers_notes_on_UPnP

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven