[mythtvnz] General questions

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Oct 25 23:08:30 GMT 2009

On 24/10/2009, at 3:16 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just was wondering a couple of things.
>
> Is Mythtv suitable for commercial use (ie sold as part of a media
> centre) or are there copyright or other legal infringements?

Yes as long as you take all of the appropriate steps, some of which
have already been covered here.

For any proprietary codecs such as MPEG4/MPEG2/H.264 you can license
them. Interestingly the MP3 patents mostly don't apply here in NZ.

As has been mentioned there are issues around format shifting of non-
audio formats which is where you will be taking a risk if you leave
transcoding features enabled.

Most of the rest comes down to GPL  compliance. With myPVR we made
sure we contributed back upstream and also made source available to
our customers.

> Has anyone been able to use the UPNP backend in Myth?  It shows up
> on my
> Windows machine but I can't play anything back using WMP it just locks
> up.  Also I seem to get several entries showing up for the same
> recording.  Myth doesn't make use of UPNP does it?  Just wondering
> because when you haven't set up the backend connection correctly you
> get
> the error message that no UPNP backends were found.

Is this with MythTV 0.21 or 0.22. A lot of the UPNP/DLNA support can
vary dramatically from client to client in my experience.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz