[mythtvnz] Debating the ionitx - single or dual core?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 00:05:25 BST 2009

I am debating with myself whether to go single or dual core on an
ionitx board. Quiet is my mantra (its for the bedroom), but I don't
want to miss out on playing any material or any gui experience if the
single core won't do the work.

This is a frontend only, and will probably run xbmc as well as myth
0.22 (when released). It will likely netboot and have no local drive
(except perhaps a CF card). So the only noise will be the motherboard
fan if I get a dual core.

So the real question is, does the dual core really need a fan?

alternatively

Can a single core (which certainly doesn't need a fan) do what I want ?

I have seen reports that the single core can certainly do the
playback, but what about the heavy lifting on the new MythUI and
themes?