[mythtvnz] DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Oct 12 04:30:34 BST 2009

> Good to know, we live in an apartment so don't have much control of
> the arial setup, from what you have said an amp may improve the
> situation.
>
> Thanks guys, I'll post back with results.
>
> Mark
>

>> Add an amplifier if you have trouble, but an amplifier will only ever
>> compensate for gain structure issues (eg cable from antenna too long,
>> too many splits, signal from antenna present but below reception
>> threshold)... Adding one where it's not needed will only ever cause
>> problems. Make sure your antenna setup is appropriate too
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Mark Catley <mark at catley.net.nz>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am in need of a splitter/amplifier for my ariel so that I can plug
>>> both my htpc and tv in. I also wouldn't mind something with a built
>>> in
>>> amplifier.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Mark

Mark
Big generalizations about PC TV tuners:
-   are poor quality receivers
-   have problems with amplifiers (Rx has bad selectivity & gain
compression)

Installing antenna amp can cause RF front end overload from other possible
strong signals like FM radio etc.
Good installers use tuned RF filters/traps etc for these problems.

Try to amplify at source not destination i.e. 1. high gain antenna, 2.
masthead amp, 3. low loss cable.
First I would check if the apartment has an active splitter from the one
common high gain roof antenna. This would be a sensible building layout for
common antenna.
Could try amplifier but with lowest gain setting i.e. 6dB this will help
offset the loss from splitter.
May not even need active splitter/amp !!

Brett