[mythtvnz] Freeview questions.

matthew pearce pearce.mg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:32:43 BST 2009

Hi again.

I unsubscribed from the list because I was going away for 6 weeks and
did not want a chock-a-block inbox.

Now that Prime is on Freeview I am very interested in getting it
working. I have an old sky dish (with LMB and coax) that a friend gave
me. I assume it will be OK for receiving freeview. However, the
problem I have now is; what DVB-S PCI card to buy. So here is my
question; Which is the best to get? (sorry for that question :-) )
Perhaps a little more specific may help:
What is the card (DVB-S) with the most features?
What is the card which works the best 'out-of-the-box' for mythtv?
What card is the best value for money?
Which is the cheapest that works?

Where is the best place (cheapest) to get these cards? Do any of you sell them?

I have a PC with a 2.66 GHZ celeron and an 80 and 120GB HDD in it. It
has a GeForce MX 440 with s-video out which drives the TV. I had a go
at getting an analogue tuner working, and after a fashion I did, but
the reception on our rabbit ears is not very good. :-) . Therefore
Freeview would be nice.

Is the EPG sent in the satellite data stream, and can 'mythtv' pick it up?

Thanks (sorry if I have crashed someone's thread)

Matthew.