[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Jean-Francois Pirus jfp at clearfield.com
Mon Nov 30 21:09:48 GMT 2009

> Does anyone have any idea how to
> get MythTV to become a UPnP/DLNA server?

It is automatic these days as long as you did not use 127.0.0.1 as the
backend address. If you did use 127.0.0.1 the all "external" networking
functionality (including DLNA) is disabled.
And you can't just change to the real address either, as that value is stored
in the database.
I'm sure there is a procedure to do it though.

>   Or is there some other
> software that works better than MythTV?
Nope, there are some good DLNA servers out there but they have a major issue.
They use inotify to find out changes to the file system, usually with a 3
minute delay. Which means that after 3 minutes of a file showing up it is
listed in DLNA.

The problem with that is that all new MythTV recordings show up as 3 minutes
long, and the PS3 for example will just stop playing the file after 3 minutes.

PS: I have tried
- PMS - Good for transcoding
- Coherence - abysmal memory utilisation (1.3Gb of memory on my server)
- minidlna - pure DLNA file server, brilliant if you don't need transcoding.
   (12Mb memory utilisation)

Jean-Francois Pirus     <jfp at clearfield.com>           Technical Manager
Phone (+64-9)  358 2081                          Clearfield Software Ltd
Fax   (+64-9)  358 2083                    1st Floor 8-10 Whitaker Place
Mob   (+64-21) 640 779                P O Box 3901 Auckland, New Zealand