[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:19:17 GMT 2009

> Does anyone have any idea how to
> get MythTV to become a UPnP/DLNA server?

MythTV already has a compliant UPnP server out of the box. I use it all the
time to play recorded TV shows / videos / music, etc on my PS3. I didn't
have to do anything special to get it working. As already suggested your TV
might be exhibiting the usual Sony magic.

>  Or is there some other
> software that works better than MythTV?

As mentioned in the thread Tortoise linked to, the unfortunately named PMS
(playstation media server) is a pretty good UPnP server and guys are having
success using it with their DLNA TVs. It is a Java app, runs on all three
major OSes, can run headless (e.g. on a server), and does automatic live
transcoding of non-native files if you have enough grunt. However, it won't
do any of the flash sorting that Myth does, or name your recordings
properly.

See here:
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

As an aside, I have been using PMS + mumudvb to watch live TV on my PS3,
alas the PS3 still doesn't support LATM audio so it is still just TV3.