[mythtvnz] CF card as system drive

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:50:18 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Noel & Di <noel at igrin.co.nz> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > According to pricespy 8G CF cards start around $40.
> >
> > Of course it may be that the original poster already has a CF card
> > spare as well.
> So the consensus is an 8GB card should be enough, and an SD class 6
> (6MB/S) is fast enough for a system drive?
> It is understood the boot up time is irrelevant because the machine runs
> 24/7 anyway.

Speed shouldn't be a problem. Whether 8GB is enough depends on what  else
you're installing. My system has a 10GB root partition which is 80% full,
but I run Gentoo which chews up a couple of gig in package management. If
you're using a distro with binary packages and only running Myth I think
you'll be fine with 8GB.

Cheers,