[mythtvnz] Backend failed ...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:17:52 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz at gmail.com> wrote:

>  It would seem like very
> poor application design if it is right.  Surely a Frontend can be thought
> of
> as a client and the Backend as a server.  If the client can tell the server
> to reconfigure it is like the tail wagging the dog and opens up all sorts
> of
> Denial of Service questions

If you're allowing random machines to connect to your mythtv database then a
DOS due to a frontend upgrading the db is the least of your security
concerns. Someone or something could just as easily connect and delete the
entire db. If you want security on the database then it's your
responsibility to set it up so that it is secure.

I agree that having frontends do db schema upgrades seems like a bad idea.
The docs do say not to use different versions on the front and back ends
though.

Cheers,