[mythtvnz] Backend failed ...

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:00:01 GMT 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:40, Jim Cheetham wrote:

> > Any chance that a newer frontend connected to the database and upgraded
> > it?
>
> ... Yes, there are a couple of Ubuntu 9.10 machines in the house and a
> client from there may well have connected. Surely that wouldn't change
> the db??

That is the implication behind Paul and Nick's posts.  I don't know - I have
never been there and would like to know for sure.  It would seem like very
poor application design if it is right.  Surely a Frontend can be thought of
as a client and the Backend as a server.  If the client can tell the server
to reconfigure it is like the tail wagging the dog and opens up all sorts of
Denial of Service questions

> Backups?
>
> *cough*

Must remember to back up my database soon --- real soon!

> The only version thing I can see in the settings table at the moment
> is  MythMovies.DatabaseVersion = 4
This is what you are looking for

                Table = settings
                Value = DBSchemaVer

In my system Mythbuntu Jaunty + JYA fixes (0.21)
                Data = 1214

> Can I drop the DB and recreate? I don't mind losing recording
> schedules, and I have the old programmes on non-myth backup storage
To me, that sounds a bit drastic without more investigation, but pragmatically
may really depend upon WAF requirements for a working system????

In any event run some backups first in case you are able to recover at least
some of the data/info.

I would run the mysql utility (mysqlshow ?)to dump the schema to a text file
(essentially a bunch of SQL statements to recreate the database) then diff it
with a known working database to try and isolate what the differences and
assess whether your database can be repaired.

Tony