[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:43:12 BST 2009

> I know Hi5 is probably not something you are too worried about
> maintaining quality on, but re-encoding twice is not a particularly
> good option.

Actually, I don't re-encode twice. Just once using Handbrake. I'll use
Avidemux just for removing unwanted start and end garbage, then a straight
copy of the raw video and audio.

> On the avidemux forum there are posts about transport streams not
> opening properly. I don't have time to go through all of them right
> now. I suspect you need a recent (read development/beta/whatever)
> version.

I'm not too fussed about keeping my recordings in their original containers
(or file sizes!). I suspect Avidemux won't recognise LATM audio anyway. My
PS3 and Apple devices don't, which is why I re-encode to vanilla AAC (and
lower bitrate h264) first.