[mythtvnz] Problem instailling VDPAU on Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed May 27 12:41:19 BST 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 22:11:49 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen.
>
>I'm a little confused with your email. You say that you settled on the
>EN8600GS, and all I can find on the asus website is the EN8600GT
>(various versions). The link that you provided takes me to the EN8400GS,
>not a EN8600GS.
>
>I'm interested in the same (general) range of cards, in particular, can
>you run audio over HDMI with this card?
>
>Cheers -

Sorry, it is just a typo - it is really an 8400GS card.  My other
cards are 8600s, and my fingers are so used to typing that they seem
to have continued with the habit.

I will not be trying to run audio over HDMI as the HDMI cable goes to
the TV, and the quality of speakers and audio circuitry on LCD/Plasma
TVs varies from bad to completely awful.  I can vouch for the ones on
my TV being very bad.  I currently have the audio on my old myPVR
software going out the SPDIF port to my CD player, which has two
digital inputs and accepts a fair range of PCM audio signals (32 kHz
to 192 Khz, 16-24 bits IIRC).  That way I get excellent HiFi quality
sound.  I will be copying that setup in the new Mythbuntu 9.04
software, but I am working on getting the video right first.  I will
need to ensure that MythTV does not do passthrough of AC3 or AAC audio
though - it does need to be decompressed to PCM for my CD player to
handle it.

It is normally expected that any card with HDMI output will have some
way to feed audio into the HDMI port, usually by having a plug on the
board for an audio input.  I was not looking for that, so I did not
get a video card with an HDMI port.  This card has a DVI port, and
there is no way I know of to get audio out that.  There are adapters
that can do what you want though:

  http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3570