[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:05:47 BST 2009

I've just given Avidemux a go with todays Hi-5 episode. The morning kids
programs are good for archiving as they have no intermediary ad breaks. Just
start and end cruft.
1) Avidemux couldn't open HD mpeg-ts files direct from Myth. It just says
"Could not open file".

2) Consequently, I exported a 30 minute HD recording with: HandbrakeCLI -Z
PS3 -i [File from Myth].mpg -o [File for Avidemux].mp4
    - Encoding took ~1 hour

3) Opened the mp4 file using the Avidemux GUI (Qt4 version for Mac) to set
the start and end cutpoints, and saved to a new file using the copy option
for video and audio codecs.
    - Took about 10 minutes to learn the GUI and complete the edit and
stream copy. Next time I figure it will take about 3 minutes.

The file plays back fine. So from a functionality perspective it works as
required.

The Avidemux scripting options look like a SEP. If I get around to it I
might learn them, but the GUI is just so easy to use :)

Jonathan