[mythtvnz] Problem instailling VDPAU on Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed May 27 08:17:32 BST 2009

I am currently suing my Asus G1S laptop to play back FreeviewHD to my
TV.  But it has developed some dead pixels, so I need to send it back
under warranty to get that fixed, and I will need something else for
FreeviewHD for the three weeks or so it will take Asus to send it to
Australia and back.  As I have one of OpenMedia's myPVR MythTV boxes,
I decided to try out VDPAU on that.  I had a spare bootable partition,
so all I needed was a VDPAU video card (the Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard
has an onboard Nvidia 6150 GPU, which does not do VDPAU).

After some research I settled on an Asus EN8600GS SILENT 512MB:

http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=551&l4=0&model=2094&modelmenu=1

There were various considerations - I wanted a silent card as the
myPVR box lives next to my bed, and 9xxx series cards all looked to
use too much power and would have required a power supply upgrade as
well.  And they did not seem to actually be available in NZ.  I did
not want an 8xxx series card, as the chips in them are known to die
with temperature cycling, but some research showed that the 8600 GS
cards are now made using a later chipset that does not have that
problem.  And the 8600GS was relatively cheap, so I could try it out
without worrying about the cost.  There are not size specifications I
could find for the silent cards either, so getting one to fit the
motherboard was rather pot luck.

Fortunately, I lucked out and the EN8600GS SILENT card just fits
nicely in the PCIe-16 slot with my first Hauppauge PVR-500 card in the
next (PCI) slot and room for a little airflow.  It is short enough so
that the airflow to heatsink on the 6150 GPU on the motherboard is not
impeded either.  I did have to move the TV-out connectors that were in
the PCIe-16 slothole, but there was room for them elsewhere (I have
the larger style myPVR case).

So far, so good.  So I changed the BIOS settings to default to PCIe-16
video and installed Mythbuntu 9.04 (64 bit) on the spare partition.
That worked, and I updated to all the latest packages, installed KDE
and tried out the desktop.  All seemed well - the video quality is
very nice compared to the S-Video output I was using before, with the
text being properly readable on my TV.  There is a problem caused by
my TV (Panasonic TX-32LX70A) as it does not advertise its native
screen resolution (1366x768) in the EDID data.  Using the modes that
it does advertise, I have considerable overscan and can not see the
XFCE toolbar at the top.  Fortunately, I am familiar enough with it to
be able to click on it blind and the dropdown menu is mostly visible
and usable.

I am working on a finding a good modeline or another way of fixing the
overscan.  Reputedly, a service menu on TX-32LX70 models allows some
adjustment of overscan settings, but the one service menu and the
"hotel" menu I have found so far do not seem to have that option.  If
anyone knows a good modeline to try for 1366x768 modes, feel free to
point me to it.

Then I installed Jean-Yves's VDPAU repository and started an update to
install the VDPAU packages.  Unfortunately, at this point there has
been a problem I do not know how to go about fixing.  I got an error
from the packages as they installed.  Here is the relevant section of
/var/log/apt/term.log:

Setting up libmyth-0.21-0 (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)

Setting up mythtv-common (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)

Setting up mythtv-database (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)
Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
 * Starting MySQL database server mysqld
   ...done.
Failed to create or modify database (incorrect admin
username/password?)
Try:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

Setting up mythtv-transcode-utils
(1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3) ...
Setting up libmyth-perl (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)
Setting up mythtv-backend (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)
 * Removing stale PID file /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend
 * Starting MythTV server: mythbackend
Segmentation fault
invoke-rc.d: initscript mythtv-backend, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mythtv-backend (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
mythtv-backend-master:
 mythtv-backend-master depends on mythtv-backend (=
1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3); however:
  Package mythtv-backend is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv-backend-master (--configure):
Setting up mythtv-frontend (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
 mythtv depends on mythtv-backend (=
1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3); however:
  Package mythtv-backend is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
Setting up libdirac0c2a (1.0.2-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libmyth-python (1:0.21.0+fixes-20607-openglvdpau-0ubuntu3)

So, does anyone know what is going on here?  Should I try again with
the 32-bit version of Mythbuntu 9.04?