[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 03:21:19 BST 2009

I use this for the interlaced channels i.e. TV3,4,5,6,7,8 20 etc

Handbrakecli -i "freeview.mpg" -t 1 -c 1 -o "freeview.avi" -f avi --crop
0:0:0:0 --deinterlace="slower" --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e xvid -q 1 -r 25
-a 1 -E lame -B 320 -R 48 -6 dpl1 -D 2.5 -v

And this on the progressive TV1 & 2  (720p channels)
Handbrakecli -i "freeview.mpg" -t 1 -c 1 -o "freeview.avi" -f avi --crop
0:0:0:0 -e xvid -q 1 -r 25 -a 1 -E lame -B 320 -R 48 -6 dpl1 -D 2.5 -v

This gives you a rather big Lossless XVID .. (the -q 1 will give you 100% of
original)
Then edit out the start/end/adverts from the xvid using Virtualdub, avidemux
or whatever your favorite video editor is and encode out to your the final
format.
I still encode everything out to Xvid using data rates of @1800k for SD , or
between 3000-3500k for 720p, which gives very close to original h.264
And prefer using virtualdub on windows, as the encoded as the status window
for the second pass, gives the quantizer display for how well the codec is
doing on encoding into the specific bitrate.

Shame Handbrake has no editing feature, nor any feedback during the encode.
Great tool for deinterlacing & converting h.264 into something more useful
than standard tools can use thou. Note if you miss off the framerate (-r 25)
handbrake encodes TV1 &2 & 50fps... even thou it's progressive 25fps.
Also one of the sound options in handbrake completely kills playback on
mplayer on my 9.04 box..
I forget which option, but  haven't encoded anything that I've kept the
surround sound on..

Regards
Geoff

Thanks for the info - looks like I will be looking into some of these tools - HandBrake and Virtualdub .

I take it there is no way to transcode via myth first and honor the cut list. I am finding that the Myth Commflag is about 80% accurate for cutting out adverts - the cutlist only needs a little adjustment after commflag - so it saves heaps of time compared to editing in another package and having to find the adverts manually.