[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Geoff mythtv at jagds.com
Tue May 26 12:56:44 BST 2009

> Ok, I will force the question, is there a way to transcode the
> FreeviewHD content?  Especially losslessly to remove commercial breaks
> etc.  Would the patches that are made to codecs need to be able to
> encode as well as decode?
> Rossco

I use this for the interlaced channels i.e. TV3,4,5,6,7,8 20 etc

Handbrakecli -i "freeview.mpg" -t 1 -c 1 -o "freeview.avi" -f avi --crop
0:0:0:0 --deinterlace="slower" --decomb  -p  --detelecine -e xvid -q 1 -r 25
-a 1 -E lame -B 320 -R 48 -6 dpl1 -D 2.5 -v

And this on the progressive TV1 & 2  (720p channels)
Handbrakecli -i "freeview.mpg" -t 1 -c 1 -o "freeview.avi" -f avi --crop
0:0:0:0 -e xvid -q 1 -r 25 -a 1 -E lame -B 320 -R 48 -6 dpl1 -D 2.5 -v

This gives you a rather big Lossless XVID .. (the -q 1 will give you 100% of
original)
Then edit out the start/end/adverts from the xvid using Virtualdub, avidemux
or whatever your favorite video editor is and encode out to your the final
format.
I still encode everything out to Xvid using data rates of @1800k for SD , or
between 3000-3500k for 720p, which gives very close to original h.264
And prefer using virtualdub on windows, as the encoded as the status window
for the second pass, gives the quantizer display for how well the codec is
doing on encoding into the specific bitrate.

Shame Handbrake has no editing feature, nor any feedback during the encode.
Great tool for deinterlacing & converting h.264 into something more useful
than standard tools can use thou. Note if you miss off the framerate (-r 25)
handbrake encodes TV1 &2 & 50fps... even thou it's progressive 25fps.
Also one of the sound options in handbrake completely kills playback on
mplayer on my 9.04 box..
I forget which option, but  haven't encoded anything that I've kept the
surround sound on..

Regards
Geoff