[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Aaron Drysdale Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com
Mon May 25 00:15:02 BST 2009

Thanks for the info. I've got another learning curve to climb to do all
of this (like how do I define a user job?), but I am finding with Ubuntu
and Myth that there's plenty of information around if you are killing to
go looking. A steer in the right direction is all that is required. And
this seems well worth the effort.

Aaron

From: mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Jonathan
Hoskin

	Are there any settings that anyone would recommend to optimize
the encoding? I just used the "normal" profile.

I use the "PS3" profile when I want it to look good.

	 Is there any way to get Mythtv to transcode recorded shows to
H264? That would be fantastic.

KISS says: Install HandbrakeCLI on the backend and create an appropriate
user job to push it into MythVideo :)

Just a pseudo user job example:
HandbrakeCLI -Z PS3 -i "/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/%FILE%" -o
"/var/lib/mythtv/videos/%TITLE%_%STARTTIME%.mp4"

Calling a well written shell script would be the best bet.

Jonathan

	From: mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Steven Ellis

	With a good encoder H.264 at 1500k should look quite good

	I transcode Lazytown for my daughter to H.264 at around 1500k
and it generally looks as good as the broadcast MPEG2 SD streams, and
yes handbrake rocks.

	Steven Ellis - Technical Director
	OpenMedia Limited
	email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz