[mythtvnz] mythtvnz Digest, Vol 21, Issue 38

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:11:20 BST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> On 14/5/09 5:59 PM, Jean-Francois Pirus wrote:
>>> As I'm new to Mythtv, I'm wondering what these "slow deletes" are that
>>> have been mentioned a few times now. Is this something I need to turn
>>> on, or is on by default now? What sort of issues can crop up, that I
>>> should be aware of? Ie, how would I recognize if I have a problem
>>> requiring this?
>>
>> It's not to fix a problem, but a GUI improvement.
>>
>> If you're using the ext3 filesystem, it's notoriously slow deleting files, so
>> that setting just queues up the delete so that the GUI is still useable in
>> the meantime.
>>

> I thought it was a new method (introduced 0.20) that deleted a file in
> chunks (by progressively shrinking a file), and was designed not to hog
> I/O on filesystems like ext3.  Didn't know it had anything do with with
> GUI responsiveness.

well its more system responsiveness but it shows up mainly in the gui
being unresponsive (you probably don't notice if daemons take a little
longer to complete, say, delivering an email)

I noticed my last mythbuntu install made (at last) a separate /var/lib
partition as xfs, and xfs has no such problems so that may account for
Aaron's lack of a problem. Or a decent motherboard, or good luck, or
the moon being in aquarius or whatever...