[mythtvnz] mythtvnz Digest, Vol 21, Issue 38

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu May 14 01:33:16 BST 2009

On 14/5/09 9:01 AM, Sam Hadley-Jones wrote:
>>> I would suggest using a 16Gb or 32Gb Compact Flash card with an IDE
>> adapter.
>>> Saves gluing it all together.
>> Although... thinking about it more.
>> 25watts running 24 hours a day is about $54 of power a year.
>> That means you have to spend less than $54 to get a payback within one
>> year.
>> More than a year and SSD's will probably have doubled in capacity and
>> halved in price.
>>
> It would really be the saving of 12W from the single 250GB Seagate spinning
> all the time as the system drive so that equates to only $27 annual savings
> - so I'm not really saving many trees. 4x 8GB USB flash sticks could be
> delivered for $130 all up. The cheapest 32GB solid state drives are just
> over $200 but the main problem is my 6 SATA ports are quite valuable.
> Having a rethink, a pair of 16GB CF cards in a CF to IDE adaptor would give
> me 40MB/s in RAID for about $180.
>
> I think that solid state storage should increase stability in Live TV a
> lot. I still get the odd freeze up from mythtv expiring stuff between shows
> while watching - even with slow deletes turned on, XFS for a file system
> and a big array. Having storage with an access time in the microseconds
> should solve that.

4 x USB is asking for trouble for a boot or mysql drive.  If just 1 of
those 4 has an issue you could waste a lot of time trying to recover
data, etc.

Flash devices still have limited life spans for writes. If you're intent
on wasting some of those writes with LiveTV, then at least put it on
it's own flash device, and not on one that is also used for boot/mysql.

  - Wade