[mythtvnz] partitions

Criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Tue May 12 00:50:17 BST 2009

Karl Leaning wrote:
> I am creating a new backend server for both myth and samba. The current
> samba box has the files in /home/samba/ and is mainly user documents,
> movie trailers, digital photos and mp3s.
>
> The new machine has 3 500GB drives in a raid 5 set with a 320GB drive
> split as /boot, swap and /
>
> The question is am I best splitting the raid set into two partitions
> being /home and /var/lib or symlink the /var/lib to /home/myth/lib and
> just have one partition?

One partition is easiest.  You can delete files from /bigdrive/samba which
would make more space in /bigdrive/mythstore

If you want to be excessively geeky, you could use LVM, but its really
overkill.

Another option is to do a raid1 of your important data, and leave myth a
single plain drive to record to.  I don't see TV recordings as being
critical data.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/