[mythtvnz] DVB-T HD picture quality VDPAU issue?

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 10:41:05 BST 2009

OK, I finally got back to some testing.

My problem is definitely a playback issue not a reception issue - yay I can stop fooling around with the aerial and cabling.

The playback problem is strange because it affects 720p content more than 1080i content.

Quick recap:

Backend:
Pentium 4 3Ghz
NOVA-T 500 tuner card
Unfortunately no PCIe slot so I can't put in a VDPAU capable card

Frontend:
ASUS M3N-HDMI  motherboard
Athlon 6000 (dual core) CPU
Built in NVIDIA 8300 graphics
Both running Mythbuntu 8.10 with JYA's repositories

 Here are the symptoms - on the Frontend.

Non VDPAU playback profile.

No problem with TV1 and TV2 playback in fact a recording that shows pixelation when using VDPAU does not have any pixelation during playback with this profile.
TV1 and TV2 (720p) playback has CPU usage around 62% but sometime over 90%
TV3 (1080i) playback has CPU usage over 100% and stutters

With VDPAU
TV1 and TV2 show pixelation with panning shots and fast motion
TV3 shows fine no pixelation

OK so I have 2 possible solutions:

1 change the settings so that VDPAU works for 720p content - I think the only option I have is to change the deinterlacer. I have tried every deinterlacer and that did not help

2 use a profile that is non VDPAU for 720p and below and VDPAU for above. This is working OK but I would really like to get my CPU usage down.

So in summary if anyone has any clever ideas for improving VDPAU performance with 720p content i would love to hear it.