[mythtvnz] VDPAU package can be removed?

Dylan Hall dylan at deedums.com
Fri May 8 14:00:38 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 22:48 +1200, Tortise wrote:

> >> Are you 100% sure you have composite disabled. That resolved most
> of my video tearing issues.
>
> Has anyone configured and used NVIDIA component out?
>
> While many of the NVIDIA cards are component capable, frequently including component converters, there seem to very few people who
> have reported configuring this in NVIDIA Linux on the net, at least that I can find.
>
> Does this VDPAU analogue composite limitation apply to analogue component as well?  (My HD TV only has HD component input - up to
> 1080i - so it seems fine to display using mythtv in New Zealand for the foreseeable future)
>
> I am hoping component out will also give good HD using VDPAU?
>
> Much obliged
> David

I get rather weird behaviour with my TV and component out. My TV is a
Sony Bravia KLV-40V300A.

The TV seems to know the difference between a PC and a more typical
component like a DVD player.

When I connect using VGA or DVI/HDMI it switches into PC mode. In this
mode everything looks the way you'd expect if you pluged into a standard
LCD monitor.  A good chunk of the TV menu options are disabled (Colour,
Hue, Sharpness, etc...)

When I connect using Component (or sometimes via DVI/HDMI if I've been
messing with nvidia-settings) it seems to switch to a standard mode,
typically 720p, and in this mode the colours are dark and look terrible.
Overscan is enabled clipping the edges from the picture.

I can only guess that a DVD player has a different colour profile from a
PC and the TV is trying to compensate. I suspect if I messed with the
colour setting within nvidia-settings I could make it look right, but
that sounds a great deal like hard work.

I did the above testing when I got the TV, so pre-VDPAU, probably around
~173.

Does anyone know if there is a flag I can pass to the video driver to
make it look right in this mode?
Does anyone else see similar issues with different brands/models of TV?

None of the above really worries me as I don't use the component out,
but I'm still curious.

Dylan