[mythtvnz] HDHomerun - VLC on Linux - Yes - well sort of!

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Mar 30 06:55:57 BST 2009

On Mon, March 30, 2009 5:41 pm, Tortise wrote:
> OK Steve, How's this?
>

> Testing the HDHomeRun in VLC using Mythbuntu 8.10 from command prompt,
> (and also XP on different hardware) I get:
>
> sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config
> hdhomerun_config discover

Thanks for the info

> Silicon Dust's website suggests the 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 (or similar) for HD
> playback is the minimum hardware specification.  The test rig seems to
> exceed that.  Seems to me the solution likely also lies in VDPAU, however
> for me even C4 does not play smoothly, I would have thought there was
> enough grunt to manage C4, certainly SD MPEG2's of the same C4 content
> play fine, so perhaps there are things they can address??  Problems also
> could lie in the antennae strength (seems unlikely given other DVB-T gear
> is receiving ok) VLC's ability to play, maybe the LAN or ?  Given the
> HDHomeRun is new to the NZ DVB-T market it would not surprise me if some
> firmware upgrades prove to be necessary to get this working to the
> standard I was expecting.

sadly the Silicon Dust specs are for HD MPEG2 broadcasts like the US and
AU. The specs for HD H.264 like NZ are far greater. My X2-6000+ can do
TV1/2 but sometimes struggles with TV3. On my single core 3200+ I can do
the SD channels (C4 etc) but even TV1/2 struggle.

Really we need VDPAU or similar hardware acceleration for HD playback.
Your signal strength is a little low but nothing extreme.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz