[mythtvnz] favorite filesystem for large media drives?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:34:22 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:

> On Friday 27 March 2009 22:08:26 Jim Tittsler wrote:
> > What is the current favorite for the filesystem for a large media drive
> > on a MythTV backend?

I'm using xfs. It's been fine for the 3 or 4 years I've used it. I did try
jfs but it would refuse to mount after a power cycle. I could have run an
fsck on boot but I never got round to setting it up and decided just to go
back to xfs last time I switched drives. I didn't notice any practical
difference apart from that minor issue (which was probably just due to
something I'd messed up in Gentoo). Frankly MythTV is not really demanding
enough for the filesystem to be a factor these days, though some filesystems
do take a while to delete large files (I think it was ext2/3 that had this
issue  -it's worked around by the "slow deletes" option you can set in myth
setup).

Cheers,