[mythtvnz] Sky

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:19:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz>wrote:

> On Mon, March 2, 2009 10:24 am, James Booth wrote:
> > Can anyone explain what Sky has to gain/protect by restricting
> > customers to using only Sky-supplied decoders? Would it really be a
> > problem for them to supply CAM's for use in HTPC's etc?
>
> 1. Control - Sky loves to control the market. Notice that unlike the UK
> you can't by a Sky STB here.
>
> 2. Piracy - Cam's allow you to copy their material, plus potentially allow
> card sharing, plus make attempts to duplicate cards more popular.
>
> 3. Adverts - Yes MySky can fast forward, but it doesn't do auto ad
> skipping etc.

4. MySkyHD - any third-party decoder market can only eat into their sales of
MySkyHD installs. I can't see the expanded market bring in enough new
customers to offset this.

5. Sky would have to support these other decoders: they'd have to consider
them when doing software updates, they'd have to provide tech support or
risk annoying customers.

Turn the question around: what has Sky got to gain by allowing third party
decoders? Not much as far as I can see.

Cheers,