[mythtvnz] Sky->smart card reader->MythTV ???

David Zanetti dave2 at wetstring.net
Sun Mar 1 04:29:46 GMT 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 21:24 +1300, yuri wrote:
> 2009/2/28 David Zanetti wrote:
> > May I suggest that as implementing this is a legal grey area that such
> > discussions don't take place on the list.
>
> Cut the paranoia.
> If it's not mentioned in the Terms and Conditions then it's not a problem.
> If the ToC does forbid it, it's a contractual matter, not a criminal matter.

As it is, you're wrong. Section 226 of the Copyright Act makes it plain
as day you are committing a crime to decode Sky's streams. You're
removing a TPM, that's now illegal. If the ACTA passes, it will become a
criminal act, not a civil one.

> Pay TV providers are not legislators.

No, they are however good at lobbying for laws that suit them.

--
David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/