[mythtvnz] MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jun 30 01:03:21 BST 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:02:37 +1200, you wrote:

>I watched a number of recordings last night off various channels and they were all perfect in their video playback. I really think this new release has fixed the video problems.
>
>However, I noticed that the audio on TV3 is very quiet. It was normal levels before the upgrade. I assume its something to do with this being the only  channel that is broadcast 5.1? I haven't changed any audio settings, and everything is downmixed to stereo.
>
>Aaron

I watched a lot of 720p last night without any problems, so that bug
seems to be gone.  Great!

I have been noticing the lower volume on TV3 for a while (not just
with this upgrade).  AC-3 audio is lower level than the AAC normally
(I do not know why), and I have been assuming that AC-3 is getting
played back in preference to AAC, but I have not actually checked on
that yet.  I also have stereo downmix selected, but I am using S/PDIF
output.  The obvious thing to do is to manually select the AAC audio
and see if we get normal levels.  If so, then we will need to see if
we can find a way to make AAC the default even if there is an AC-3
track.