[mythtvnz] MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 00:21:43 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Aaron
Drysdale<Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com> wrote:
>>the kernel
>
> There must be something else that has affected the tuner. I don't
> believe it is caused by a faulty card (sorry, just my opinion :) This
> suddenly started after an upgrade - it would be quite a coincidence.
>
> But I guess the onus is on me to figure out what is causing this. Or
> maybe, with my wife and kids away for the school holidays next week, I
> just bite the bullet and reinstall everything fresh onto 9.04 (shudder)

The other possibility is the firmware, I recall that there was a later
firmware at some point which gave trouble and people who went back to
the previous firmware said it worked better. Try searching the
mythtv-users mailing list for the card name and firmware, gossamer
threads is the best archive.

In case you are unfamiliar, the kernel driver loads the firmware at
cold boot time (if you warm boot you can be left with the previously
loaded firmware, you need a power off situation if you are changing
firmware.) The firmware is produced by the manufacturer and is
generally closed source.